12 April 2007

I am getting ready for bed. My lights are dim so that my body might adjust to the darkness and prepare itself internally. But my job in preparation is external. Already I have brushed my teeth and donned pajamas. The only thing left to do is to put my retainer in.

Standing in front of my sink, I glance at my mirror. Behind the mirror, in the medicine cabinet, is the little blue clamshell where I keep my retainer. But do I really need to wear it tonight? Yes. For if I do not, it will only make the wearing tomorrow night a bit more painful.

Is this anything like Christianity?

I think it is. Everyday is a day to wear my retainer, just as everyday is a day to walk with God. Skipping a day of close connection and character formation with and by the Creator only leaves me harder to mold tomorrow. But what is more, my Creator has emotions and He has no desire to be left out. His greatest desire is to be with me, helping me to love Him more.

OK. I'll wear my retainer. Job accomplished for tonight.

12 comments:

Christy Joy said...

And why did you not want me to read this again? It was great! That was a wonderful analogy and I think that today I'm going to don my spiritual retainer :) But you're most definitely right about God being so much more than a retainer (lol) because God has emotions! Isn't God awe-inspiring?

Jonathan Gerrans said...

Hey Karissa! Glad to see you joined the blogging community, now that you have gone afar! Do you mind if I put a link to your blog on mine? Hope you are doing well out there!

Kelsey said...

Karissa Joy! Good to see your voice...

As I read your post I happily realized that I too was wearing my retainer. A bit more of an anomaly than it ought to be.

Miss you! Especially on Thursdays... :)

Kristin said...

Well dear friend Karissa,
Kelsey saw me wearing my retainer tonight (which had not been worn for a week or so...) and mentioned your blog! So I thought it appropriate and exciting to read said blog. I can most definitely relate to the struggle to wear the physical retainer, and I entirely agree with the analogy of the spiritual retainer :) Thank you for your insights :) I miss you!

Caitlin said...

Hmmm... I don't when the last time I wore my retainer was... I'm not sure that it has been in my possesion in quite some time - like several years...

I appreciate the analogy though :)

and every red leaf I find (an uncountable quantity) reminds me of you! They are everywhere - like so many eigth-notes in a fugal flourish of an improvisation on the Joy of the Lord.

I love you, dear friend.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

Karissa! When did you get a blog!/? Nice to see you have decided to share some of your insights with us in a more permanent way (writing is so useful). Thanks for the encouraging thought. It seriously caused me to think (Which I need to do more often!). Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.
P.S. I will probably never stop wondering what "For Red Leaves" means. I am sure there is more to it than meets the eye!

Karissa said...

Thanks to all of you who have commented on this post!

It is Sabbath morning, first weekend of Winter08 quarter. My heart is blessed in many ways to read the comments you all have put here.

Thank you each, again!

Brian said...

By the way, mind if I put a link to your blog on my page. I can just call it "The Retainer Blog", or I can call it "Karissa's blog".

Karissa said...

Brian,

You may put a link to my blog on your own page. Karissa's blog would be my favorite title, but whatever you want...

Happy Sabbath!

Phoebe said...

Hey Karissa! How are you? I just found your blog and wondering if I could add you to my page! It was great seeing you in UCA a couple weeks ago! God bless you this summer! I'm going to Thailand in 5 days! Please keep us in your prayers! :D

Karissa said...

Phoebs,

This is a little late...(ehem, ehem), but I still want to let you know that I don't mind your posting my name on your blog. I'm not very interesting to read about, yet you are allowed to post a link to my blog.

Karissa